Just a short distance from both Fowey and Par, Tywardreath is a ‘proper’ Cornish village. This friendly community supports a school, pub, butcher, grocer, fish and chip shop, hairdresser, 2 churches and a British Legion. It is on a bus route and is close to the station at Par.
Tywardreath first appeared in the Domesday Survey in 1086 and a Benedict priory was established after the Norman Conquest. The village once had a natural harbour and around the end of the 18th century would have been busy with fishing, trading and mining. Many interesting buildings remain, particularly St Andrews church which is built on the site of the priory. Tywardreath is on the Saint’s Way and close to both coastline and countryside, with good access to public transport.